It's weird, when I #draw, I love #drawing, but when I #paint, I can't wait to just half-ass the drawing and get to the #painting. I need to remember that painting is mostly drawing. This is the first time I tried drawing on the canvas beyond simple block-ins. Usually I work in pencil on paper and then transfer, but feel that I lose a lot of spontaneity in that process. #contemporaryartist #contemporaryart #figurativeart #nude #model
1. Michael Choi’s well-muscled nude lady is kneeling, and looking away.
2. We’re looking at prominent organic contours, defined magically by shadow. There’s no background; just the figure herself!
3. The focal point is her sideboob, which I love.
4. I dislike that little attention is paid to her head and hair.
5. What’s striking is the use of light and shadow to emphasize her physicality and musculature.